|1||FM||Chan, Nicholas||2378||9||2013-10||Asian Cities, Philippines|
|2||IM||Mas, Hafizulhelmi||2340||22||2013-11||Hyderabad Open, India|
|3||IM||Lim, Yee-Weng||2330||10||2014-08||Olympiad, Norway|
|4||Yeoh, Li Tian||2322||41||2014-04||Malaysian Masters|
|5||Teh, Eu Wen Aron||2300||80||2014-08||Olympiad, Norway|
|6||Ng, Tze Han||2279||5||2014-04||Malaysian Masters|
|7||Chuah, Jin Hai Jonathan||2250||9||2014-03||National Closed|
|8||Chan, Marcus||2224||9||2013-12||Penang Open|
|9||FM||Lim, Zhuo Ren||2215||3||2014-05||4NCL, UK|
|10||IM||Liew, Chee-Meng Jimmy||2207||25||2014-05||Selangor Open|
|11||Fong, Yit San||2187||63||2014-08||Olympiad, Norway|
|12||Nayan, Ahmad Fadzil||2145||27||2014-08||Olympiad, Norway|
|13||Chin, F||2143||1||2013-11||4NCL, UK|
|14||Sabri, Mohd Saprin||2137||13||2014-05||Selangor Open|
|15||Yeap, Eng Chiam||2128||6||2013-12||Penang Open|
|16||Loo, Swee Leong||2119||7||2013-12||Penang Open|
|17||Liong, Ing Kiat Anthony||2112||9||2013-12||Penang Open|
|18||Yeoh, Chin Seng||2102||13||2014-05||Selangor Open|
|19||Capel, Evan Timothy||2095||7||2013-10||Asian Cities, Philippines|
|20||Zulkipli, Zaidan||2082||14||2014-07||Asian Dragons, Taiwan|
1) Rating: based on 20140901 FRL
2) N(12): Number of rated games in the preceding 12 months
3) Last Event: Month and name of last played recognised event
Basis of Top 20 Malaysians List
1) Starting point for this list is the FRL.
2) Only those who have played in a recognised event in the last 12 months is considered for inclusion.
3) A recognised event is a National Class event in Malaysia or an international event.
4) Recognised Malaysian events include National Closed, Malaysian Masters, National Juniors, Malaysian Open, KL Open, Penang Open and Selangor Open, and their respective satellite events.
5) An international event is recognised only if it is of a stature comparable to or higher than recognised Malaysian events.
I considered whether to include only players who played a specified minimum number of games in the last 12 months. In that case, Francis Chin (no. 13) would not have been included while Zhuo Ren (no. 9) could have been a borderline case. However, I decided not to impose this criterion for this September list as I could not make a decision on the minimum N after taking into account the circumstances of Malaysian players. Maybe it will be a criterion for future lists.